Paniyiri Greek Festival
22-23 May 2021
Online and at The Greek Club, South Brisbane
In 2021 the 45th Paniyiri Greek Festival will be celebrated over the weekend of May 22 and 23 within The Greek Club precinct and online, a program combining real, virtual, and livestreamed experiences that will deliver the essence of Queensland’s favourite cultural celebration in a COVID-safe way.
Paniyiri is Queensland’s signature celebration of all things Greek, the state’s largest cultural festival and the country’s longest running Greek festival. The celebration started in 1976 when a group of passionate Greek Australians wanted to share their cultural traditions with Brisbane and, over four decades, Paniyiri has grown to become Brisbane’s favourite cultural celebration, taking place on the third weekend in May annually.
Paniyiri Organising Committee Chair Mr Chris Kazonis said the decision to change the format was a direct result of operating in a COVID-19 world. “Paniyiri Greek Festival is a community initiative of the Greek Orthodox communities of South East Queensland with any funds raised channelled back into the community via the Greek Orthodox Community of St George Brisbane. We stage this incredible event by the grace of our community and our sponsors, and have had to adopt to a format that protects us against any future lockdowns, yet still allows us to share our incredible culture, flavours, music, dance and history with greater Brisbane,” he said.
Entry to The Greek Club precinct will be free, with many events also free of charge, along with some ticketed experiences.
This year, Paniyiri Greek Festival experiences will include:
- A full program of live cooking demonstrations, cultural exhibitions and lectures, dance performances and food events with audiences at The Greek Club – these will be ticketed, with some costed and others free of charge to attend.
- All key events at The Greek Club will be livestreamed.
- A dedicated program of cooking demonstrations featuring celebrity chefs, Greek cooks and well known Brisbane identities will be staged live as well as livestreamed.
- A program of Greek Dancing will be livestreamed, featuring celebrity dancers and the Hellenic Dancers.
- Music sets will be performed live as well as being livestreamed.
- A Honeypuff Drive-Through will be located within The Greek Club precinct!
- Fashion Parade on Friday night, Greek Taverna on the Saturday evening
- Nostimo Restaurant at The Greek Club will celebrate Paniyiri for the whole month of May with lunch and dinner specials.
Tickets will be on sale for Greek Club events from 9am Monday May 3.